We’ll give you tips on How to Fix Minecraft OpenGL Error 1281. You can try the 5 methods below to fix this error.
- 1 How to Fix Minecraft OpenGL Error 1281
How to Fix Minecraft OpenGL Error 1281
If you are an avid Minecraft player, OpenGL is one of the most common errors. If you have not experienced it, someday you will, and when it happens, do not panic because it can be easily fixed. OpenGL is an embedded setting in Minecraft, which makes the game run faster and more smoothly on your computer. OpenGL is responsible for the reduction of the load that the game renders on your system. It instructs the system not to render anything that is not in your direct view, thereby reducing the workload on your GPU. It transfers all the load to your CPU while the GPU is less stressed.
This option is usually activated by default, and it is to make sure users have an uninterrupted and enhanced gaming performance. However, since Minecraft users are fond of installing third-party variables and modules, the error message “OpenGL Error 1281” is quite common. So, how do we fix it? Before we go into that, we should highlight some of the common causes of this error message.
Causes of “OpenGL Error 1281” in Minecraft
OpenGL Error 1281 comes up mostly in a fully-modded Minecraft, and the error occurs as a result of one or more conflicting game modules. After numerous occurrences of this error, we have put together some common reasons why you might experience this error.
- OptiFine: OptiFine gives users more control of the game. It is a third-party application that enhances the overall gameplay. If the OptiFine in your Minecraft is outdated or filled with errors, the OpenGL error might come up any time.
- Shaders: Shaders are graphics settings that you import as part of your modded Minecraft. If any of these graphics settings are corrupt or faulty, the error will be displayed.
- Java Files: Minecraft is a game application that runs on Java, and its requirements ought to be automatically installed. If these requirements are missing, the “OpenGL error 1281” will be displayed.
- Version Control: If your shader version does not synchronize with your forge version, the issue of “OpenGL error 1281” will pop up.
Now that we have established the causes of this error, we should check out some possible solutions.
NOTE: When trying out any of the solutions highlighted below, keep your internet connection on and login as “Administrator” on your PC.
Method 1: Update OptiFine
OptiFine is an optimization mod tool for Minecraft, which generally boosts the FPS of your game and boosts your gameplay. It is responsible for making the game run faster and look better. It supports all shaders, HD textures, and every other configuration that you need to mod your Minecraft game. Essentially, OptiFine is the primary driving force behind your Minecraft mods, as it ensures that they interact with each other non-stop.
In many cases of “OpenGL Error 1281,” we have seen users with outdated OptiFine, and a simple upgrade fixed the error. Thus, if this error pops, you should first check your version of OptiFine to see if it is the latest one. If it is outdated, make sure you download the updated version from the OptiFine official download page. After successfully installing it, restart your computer and launch your game.
Method 2: Update or Manually Install Java Packages
Minecraft uses Java files for its operations, and these Java files are contained in Java file packages. All the mods that Minecraft uses run on Java. Thus, if you do not have the Java file packages installed properly on your computer, the “Open GL Error 1281” will pop up due to the failure of the Java files to initialize. Check out the steps below to manually install these Java files.
- Right-click on “This PC” and click on “Properties” to see if your computer’s operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit.
- Click here to download the Java files.
- After downloading the file, Extract it to a folder and copy the file version folder.
- Launch Windows File Explorer (Windows + E) and go to the path below:
- Paste the file you copied in STEP 3 to the location and copy the name of the folder.
- Launch Minecraft Mod manager, and at the bottom of the screen, click on “Edit Profile”.
- Under Advanced Java settings, tick the checkbox next to “Executable” and paste the correct path in the box.
- Restart your computer and Launch Minecraft to see if the error code is cleared.
Method 3: Disable Mods or check for version compatibility
Users mod Minecraft to improve their gaming experience, but often, these mods work wrongly and affect your gameplay. If you are experiencing the “OpenGL Error 1281,” it is advisable to disable mods to see if the error goes away. If after disabling a mod, you no longer see the error message, then, that mod is the culprit. You can try disabling the mods one after the other to troubleshoot the problem. If disabling the mods does not clear the error, then they are not the problem. Make sure you re-enable them.
You may also want to check if all your mods are synchronized. If one of them is out of sync, it could be that the versions of your mods are not compatible, and disabling such mods could solve the problem.
Method 4: Remove all Shaders
Shaders are used to change the texture of Minecraft, such as changing from winter to summer. They sometimes clash with other mod modules and can be the cause of OpenGL Error 1281. Try and disable your shaders one after the other to see which one is causing problems. It is also possible that shaders may not be the problem; so, you might want to cut and paste them to another location so you can easily access them some other time.
Method 5: Uninstall and Install Minecraft
If you have tried all the four solutions above and none of them worked, you can simply reinstall Minecraft as a whole. Before you uninstall the game, make sure your user data is backed up or saved to your profile. Another way to keep your data is to copy the user data from the game’s directory to a new location.
OpenGL Error 1281 is not a big issue to fret about. In fact, virtually every Minecraft player has experienced this error, and with just a few simple steps, they fixed it. Try out these solutions and see which one works for you.